How Does GAP Insurance Work After a Car is Totaled?
No one wants to get into a car accident, but if the unexpected happens, having the proper insurance and protection plan and an understanding of how they work is crucial. This may have drivers in Plainfield wondering, “How does GAP insurance work if your car is totaled?” Let’s go over some details of what GAP insurance coverage entails.
What is Gap Insurance?
GAP insurance is a special type of insurance that is useful if you are making loan payments, and your vehicle loan is currently for more money than your car is worth. This gap between the initial loan and the current value of your vehicles exists because once you drive a new car off the lot, the value of the car depreciates, which means the value starts to drop. In the event of an accident around Aurora or anywhere else, GAP insurance helps cover the gap between what you owe on your loan and what your car is valued at. This could potentially save you from paying thousands on a car you no longer even own.
How Does GAP Insurance Work on a Total Loss?
If it turns out that your car is totaled, your regular insurance policy will make a payout based on the current value of your vehicle, less the amount of your deductible. For most people with loans, this amount will be less than the amount owed on their auto loan. This is when the gap insurance kicks in. This insurance will cover the difference between the original payout and the auto loan.
If you took out a loan of $25,000 and your vehicle was valued at $22,000 at the time of the accident, you would only receive $22,000 from your primary insurance policy. The GAP insurance policy would then step in and cover the remaining $3,000 so that you could pay off your vehicle.
Get Your Insurance Questions Answered at Continental Mazda of Naperville
From explaining how gap insurance works on a total loss to explaining if car insurance covers theft, the team in our finance center is here to help you with all your insurance questions. Contact us today or make the trip from Joliet to see what we can do for you!
Why Buy From Continental Mazda of Naperville?
There are numerous reasons that drivers throughout the greater Chicago area choose our dealership. A few reasons to shop with us include:
- With our Cruise Online Car-Buying service, you’re in control — you can complete every step of the purchasing process without ever visiting the dealership. After you’re done, you can pick up your vehicle or we can deliver it.
- Continental Motors, which includes Continental Mazda of Naperville, has been honored as “Best Auto Dealer” for 9 consecutive years in Naperville Magazine’s “Best Of” Awards.*
- Our VIP Loyalty Rewards help you earn points when you spend money at our dealership — points that can be used toward future purchases and services.
- Continental Mazda of Naperville has long been one of the top Certified Pre-Owned dealerships in the Midwest.
More News From Continental Mazda of Naperville
As we begin setting resolutions for the new year, it’s almost expected that we’ll fall short of accomplishing them. However, there are some unexpected resolutions that are worth making and keeping, both for your confidence and your wallet. We’re talking, of course, about resolutions for your vehicle. If coming up with resolutions for…
Winter conditions call for winter accessories. And outfitting your vehicle with a set of winter tires is one of the best ways to combat the difficult driving conditions of an Illinois winter. Visit Continental Mazda of Naperville to speak to our team of technicians about equipping your car with a set of winter tires. …
The 2020 Mazda3 values quality, simplicity, and performance. Continue reading to see if the Mazda3 is the right sedan for you. Inside The 2020 Mazda3 Design The Mazda3 offers clean, minimalist design to showcase its quality and craftsmanship. Choose from six sophisticated colors including Machine Gray, Deep Crystal Blue, Soul Red Crystal, and Snowflake White….
* https://napervillemagazine.com/2018/07/__trashed/, http://napervillemagazine.com/2017/07/best-naperville-2017/, http://napervillemagazine.com/2016/07/the-best-of-naperville-2016/, http://napervillemagazine.com/2016/06/the-best-of-naperville-2015/, http://napervillemagazine.com/2016/06/the-best-of-naperville-2014/, http://napervillemagazine.com/2016/06/the-best-of-naperville-2013/, http://napervillemagazine.com/the-best-of-naperville-2012/, http://napervillemagazine.com/the-best-of-naperville-2011/, http://napervillemagazine.com/the-best-of-naperville-2010/