What is Good Mileage on a Used Car?
Mileage matters when you’re buying a used car, but it’s not the be-all end-all factor that you might think. There was a time when it would have been wise to steer clear of any pre-owned vehicle with over 100,000 miles on the odometer, but that’s no longer the case — what really matters is the vehicle’s maintenance history, its condition, and its usage.
What Matters When Purchasing a Used Car
Whether you’re buying a pre-owned Mazda or a car, truck, or SUV from another automaker, there are three primary factors that you should consider.
- While mileage is important, the way those miles have been driven is perhaps the most pressing factor. For instance, a car that’s been driven for 90,000 miles entirely in stop-and-go traffic in Chicago will exhibit significantly more wear and tear than one that’s been driven the same distance primarily on highways on the way out of Plainfield or Joliet.
- Just as important as how the car has been driven is where it’s been driven. A car that’s spent its life in a hot, dry climate will have suffered less stress from the elements than one that’s spent significant time in a cold, wet area.
- Has the vehicle had regular maintenance? If the prior owner kept up with regular maintenance procedures such as oil changes, you’re likely good hands — but you should be wary of a vehicle that hasn’t had regular maintenance.
How Old is Too Old?
A 10-year old car is not necessarily worse than a 5-year old car — the important thing is how it’s been used.
- A five-year-old car with only 15,000 miles might seem like a great find, but you should also consider the fact that vehicles that aren’t driven frequently can develop unique issues such as cracking in their rubber seals.
- Moreover, a vehicle with 50,000 miles is likely to cost more than one with twice that, even if the latter has a sterling maintenance history and the former does not.
An older car with low mileage isn’t objectively bad — it’s a matter of its condition and its maintenance history. If you’re concerned, you can have peace of mind when you shop for a Certified Pre-Owned Mazda.
Shop for Used Cars Near Aurora
Good mileage for used cars depends on lots of other factors, and we’ll be happy to discuss them while showing you our inventory at Continental Mazda of Naperville. To learn more about how to replace your car battery yourself, why your car makes noise when turning, or even about our models, contact us online or visit our dealership for a test drive! It’s also a good idea to think about when to buy a used car.
Our Pre-Owned Inventory
Why Buy From Continental Mazda of Naperville?
There are lots of reasons to shop at our dealership, including:
- Continental Motors Group has been named “Best Auto Dealer” by Naperville Magazine* for nine consecutive years.
- Our 110% price guarantee ensures that you’ll get an excellent price on any vehicle you buy from our dealership.
- We offer maximum convenience with our CRUISE Online Car Buying Program, which allows you to conduct the entire car-buying process from the comfort of your own home.
More Car-Buying Advice
Mileage matters when you’re buying a used car, but it’s not the be-all end-all factor that you might think. There was a time when it would have been wise to steer clear of any pre-owned vehicle with over 100,000 miles on the odometer, but that’s no longer the case — what really matters is the…
You might be looking for a new Mazda or pre-owned vehicle for more than just a way to get around town. Nowadays, owning a vehicle is one way to earn an income as well. Driving for both Uber and Lyft becoming more and more popular near Joliet, so choosing the right vehicle is crucial. Both…
No one wants to get into a car accident, but if the unexpected happens, having the proper insurance and protection plan and an understanding of how they work is crucial. This may have drivers in Plainfield wondering, “How does GAP insurance work if your car is totaled?” Let’s go over some details of what GAP…
* https://napervillemagazine.com/2018/07/__trashed/, http://napervillemagazine.com/2017/07/best-naperville-2017/, http://napervillemagazine.com/2016/07/the-best-of-naperville-2016/, http://napervillemagazine.com/2016/06/the-best-of-naperville-2015/, http://napervillemagazine.com/2016/06/the-best-of-naperville-2014/, http://napervillemagazine.com/2016/06/the-best-of-naperville-2013/, http://napervillemagazine.com/the-best-of-naperville-2012/, http://napervillemagazine.com/the-best-of-naperville-2011/, http://napervillemagazine.com/the-best-of-naperville-2010/